Have you ever been stuck on an assignment when your instructor wasn’t available? Whether you’re an early bird or a night owl, your schedule sometimes doesn’t align with your instructor’s. But that doesn’t mean you must stop your assignment and wait for help.
Enter Tutor.com, an online tutoring platform that offers the same 24/7 access as your course. With tutor.com, you can connect with an online tutor who’s an expert in the subject you need help with. They can provide real-time assistance and guidance so you can continue to work on your assignment.
How does Tutor.com select its tutors?
Tutor.com carefully selects qualified tutors by conducting screening processes with subject exams, mock tutoring sessions, mentor reviews, and background checks. These tutors have experience in the online classroom and are trained to help students understand concepts through shared whiteboards, chat, and file-sharing. There are over 3,000 tutors in over 250 subjects on the platform who have real-life experience using and teaching their subjects.
Tutor.com educators are friendly, knowledgeable, and supportive. They will spend as little or as much time as you need so you can get back to your school work. If you’re feeling nervous or anxious about connecting with an educator, consider our tips to help break the ice and ensure effective online tutoring sessions:
- Be Prepared: Before connecting with a tutor, review your VLACS assignment thoroughly. Understand the specific concepts or questions you need help with, ensuring a focused and productive session.
- Use Clear Communication: Clearly express your challenges and questions. If you’re struggling to explain, provide examples or describe the specific area causing difficulty. Clear communication helps the tutor understand your needs better.
- Share Assignment Details: Tutors do not have access to your VLACS course, so it’s important to share details about your assignment, such as the topic, specific questions, or any instructions from your instructor. The more information you provide, the more targeted and helpful the tutor’s assistance can be.
- Define Your Goals: Before the session, outline what you aim to achieve. Whether it’s clarifying a concept, solving a specific problem, or understanding a particular section, having clear objectives guides the tutor in tailoring their support to your goals.
- Express Your Learning Style: Let the tutor know if you have specific learning preferences. Tutors are trained with instructional techniques to support a range of learning needs. Whether you benefit from visual aids, step-by-step explanations, or examples, communicating your preferences ensures a personalized tutoring experience.
Tutor.com also prioritizes accessibility. To accommodate learning needs, the platform ensures there are different mediums to receive support, such as chat and audio tutoring, video conferencing, and other tools that are fully keyboard-operable and tab-navigable. Their online classroom is also compatible with popular screen readers (e.g., JAWS, Kurzweil, NVDA, etc.), providing text equivalents for all non-text content. The web-based platform is also extremely user-friendly, with no required plugins or downloads, so you can continue to use any assistive technology or accessibility functions you might have.
The addition of Tutor.com aims to ensure that immediate assistance is available without interrupting your learning process. How might skipping an important question on your assignment or stopping altogether impact your performance? Consider this: Researchers at Worcester Polytechnic Institute shed light on the impact of feedback timing on learning outcomes, specifically in the context of web-based platforms. Their study, conducted with 61 seventh-grade math students using an online feedback system, compared immediate correctness feedback during homework completion to delayed feedback received the next day. Results from the study indicated that students who received immediate feedback performed better than those with delayed feedback.
Tutor.com addresses the necessity for instant, course-specific support, but don’t just take our word for it. Fellow VLACS students are loving the Tutor.com platform, too. These students rated Tutor.com a 4.66 out of 5!
They say that Tutor.com is also boosting their academic performance. In a survey by the NH Department of Education, 96% of students credit Tutor.com with improving their grades. Additionally, 95% of students said they feel more confident about their school work, thanks to the support received through Tutor.com.
One student shared, “My tutor was so helpful and understood that I was short on time and wanted help working through the AP answers while getting through everything quickly.”
Another stated, “My tutor was so nice and hospitable! I really appreciated them and their confidence in me!”
Along with convenience and performance, navigating the Tutor.com platform is also simple. If you are enrolled in a VLACS course, you’ll be able to see a link to Tutor.com right on your course page. After selecting the link, you will be directed to a form to describe the assistance you need.
VLACS Instructor Mrs. Sharon Moores said her daughter, who is enrolled in Algebra 2 at VLACS, found the platform effective and easy to use.
Mrs. Moores expressed, “My daughter was surprised at how easy it was to use. The information she received helped her get to the answer independently with hints and prompting from the online tutor.”
VLACS instructors also appreciate the support Tutor.com provides their students.
Mrs. Zsuzsuana Toth-Laughland, a Math teacher at VLACS, highlighted the significance of instant support for students working at various times throughout the day. She notes that Tutor.com’s quick response has been particularly beneficial for students completing assignments outside of her office and appointment hours.
Mrs. Toth-Laughland shared, “My students appreciate how quickly they can get support, especially when completing assignments when I am unavailable, like early in the morning or later in the evening.”
With its simplicity, accessibility, and impressive results, Tutor.com is a fantastic resource that is always available for your VLACS classes.
Try it out yourself! Next time you need clarification on a math problem or are wondering about a Spanish translation, keep Tutor.com in mind.