Building upon the prior prerequisite course, students will embark on their journey to becoming managers in the hotel and restaurant industry by gaining knowledge and developing a variety of skills. Students will learn of different management styles, laws, and regulations that govern hotels and restaurants as well as how to develop job descriptions and business plans. In addition, students will learn how to create menus, advertise vacancies, perform interviews, and understand the financials of the hotel or restaurant.
During this course, you will learn career-related skills and earn a badge for this accomplishment. A badge is a digital certification of your career-related learning that you can share on social media or with higher education platforms, colleges, potential employers, peers, and colleagues. Select this link to learn more about badges.
Students will demonstrate an understanding of management skills in the hospitality and tourism industry by summarizing management styles, describing team building, and explaining effective communication.
Students will demonstrate an understanding of the hiring process in the hospitality and tourism industry by describing ways to find talent, explaining the interviewing process, and explaining best practices for training.
Students will demonstrate an understanding of elements of a business in hospitality and tourism Industry by summarizing a business plan in the hospitality and tourism Industry, explaining business finances in the hospitality and tourism Industry, and describing hospitality and tourism industry regulations.
Students will demonstrate an understanding of marketing in the hospitality and tourism industry by describing competition in marketing in the hospitality and tourism industry, explaining marketing tools in hospitality and tourism industry, and summarizing sales development in the hospitality and tourism industry.
Students will demonstrate an understanding of restaurant options in the hospitality and tourism industry by describing the types of restaurants, explaining the importance of the menu, and summarizing the financial impact of a restaurant.
Students will demonstrate an understanding of marketing a restaurant in the hospitality and tourism industry by explaining the competition, describing effective marketing strategies, and discussing industry challenges.
Unit 1: Management Skills
1. Discover different management styles
2. Describe what it means to be a leader
3. Discuss the importance of fostering teamwork
4. Understand the importance of communication
Unit 2: Hiring, Managing and Retaining Talent
1. Formulate a strategy to advertise open positions
2. Create job descriptions for each position in your company
3. Recruit and interview to fill any position
4. Train employees to be lasting members of your team
Unit 3: Diving into the Details
1. Know what a business plan is, and what you should include in yours
2. See how the different departments that make up your hotel all weave together
3. Understand some of the financial tasks you’ll take on when running a hospitality business
4. Discover laws and regulations that affect the hotel industry
Unit 4: Marketing Madness
1. Understand competition in the hospitality industry
2. Discover marketing tools to enhance your business
3. Fine tune your sales strategies and skills
4. Find ways to continually grow in the hospitality industry
Unit 5: Restaurant Operations
1. Explore the different types of restaurant establishments
2. Prepare a menu for your restaurant
3. Understand the positions involved in the restaurant business
4. Be financially conscious of your hotel restaurant