Unit 1: Restaurant Management: What You Need to Know
- Identify different types of restaurants.
- Recognize the importance of customer needs.
- Manage and support staff.
- Track expenses and profit.
Unit 2: How Restaurants Work
- Identify the different roles in the front of house.
- Recognize job responsibilities in the kitchen.
- Understand how the point-of-sale system works.
- Explore how the restaurant manager functions in this hierarchy.
Unit 3: Food and Workplace Safety
- Understand essential safety regulations in the kitchen.
- Recognize the importance of proper employee training.
- Identify key food safety practices.
- List common food-borne illnesses.
Unit 4: Understanding Recipes, Techniques, and Equipment
- Understand how to read a recipe.
- Recognize ingredient quantities and preparation instructions.
- Explain some basic cooking techniques.
- Explore the function of commercial cooking equipment.
Unit 5: Managing a Restaurant Staff
- Make good hiring decisions.
- Recognize the importance of teamwork.
- Understand how to make a work schedule.
- Manage employee problems and challenges.
Unit 6: Professional Communications and Ethics in Restaurant Management
- Use active listening skills to hear and communicate effectively.
- Discuss the importance of nonverbal communication.
- Understand the ethical guidelines appropriate for a restaurant manager.
- Recognize the importance of employee-friendly policies.
Unit 7: Marketing and Customer Service
- Recognize the importance of customer service.
- Identify key ways to improve customer service.
- Discuss the types of customer feedback.
- Understand the components of a marketing plan.
Unit 8: Building a Restaurant Management Career
- Fill out a job application.
- Write a résumé and cover letter.
- Prepare a portfolio.
- Make a self-care plan to handle stress and balance work and life obligations.