Unit 1: An Introduction to Entrepreneurship-Past and Present
- Define entrepreneurship and identify examples of entrepreneurs.
- Identify types of services provided by entrepreneurs and small businesses.
- Discuss ways in which entrepreneurship has changed over time.
- Recognize innovations that were created by famous entrepreneurs.
- Evaluate resources available to assist entrepreneurs.
- Explore ways in which entrepreneurs generate business ideas and how they define a prospective business plan.
Unit 2: Using Communication to Create Opportunities
- Identify how to find and manage new customer opportunities.
- Demonstrate effective communication strategies used in business.
- Explain methods used to collaborate with colleagues.
- Determine job search skills that prepare an individual for intrapreneurship opportunities.
Unit 3: Navigating the Business World
- Discuss the impact of initial decisions on a small business.
- Identify the functional areas of a business.
- Describe how small businesses participate within the global economy.
- Understand the differences between types of industries and products.
- Summarize how business decisions are made based on operational processes and procedures.
Unit 4: Small Business and the Law
- Compare the advantages and disadvantages of different types of business ownership.
- Understand common legal responsibilities of a small business.
- Identify requirements, regulations and laws that impact a business.
- Define basic legal protections available for a business’s intellectual property.
Unit 5: Economics for Managing the Small Business
- Identify key terms used in economics.
- Recognize the economic impact of scarcity of resources.
- Describe the importance of specialization and voluntary exchange.
- Explain how markets, pricing, and competition predict the behavior of the economy.
- Distinguish between the different types of economic competition.
Unit 6: Government and the Small Business Relationship
- Describe the main roles of government in the business environment.
- Recognize government regulations that affect business ownership and operations.
- Discuss the role of federal regulatory agencies in business.
- Identify federal, state, and local taxes that are the responsibility of entrepreneurs.
Unit 7: Entrepreneurial Finance
- Identify funding options for a new business.
- Describe the main categories of costs in a business.
- Recognize key financial terms used in business.
- Summarize commonly used financial statements and their components.
- Evaluate key business performance measures based on financial statement analysis.
Unit 8: Ethics and Social Responsibility in Business
- Summarize the importance of individual and organizational business ethics.
- Recognize ethical issues and solutions in different business situations.
- Describe the importance of corporate social responsibility.
- Explain how entrepreneurs can establish businesses as a force for social and environmental good.