Estimated Completion Time
Estimated completion time is 4-6 Weeks.
This competency group may only be completed as an experience. Please select the “Experience” button above to see the description.
During this course, you will learn career-related skills and earn a badge for this accomplishment. A badge is a digital certification of your career-related learning that you can share on social media and higher education platforms, or with colleges, potential employers, peers, and colleagues. Select this link to learn more about badges.
Major Topics and Concepts
Please review the competency statements on the right to learn about the major topics and concepts covered in this offering.
Experiences allow you to explore a career field you’re curious about while mastering competencies for school credit. Through experiential learning, you will learn skills and apply these skills to tasks you would complete as part of a career, rather than completing traditional assessments like essays or tests. During your experience, you’ll work with a professional in the field to support your learning. You’ll earn a badge for your accomplishments, which you can share on social media and higher education platforms, or with colleges, potential employers, peers, and/or colleagues to display your qualifications.
Here’s how an Experience works:
- Each competency you work on is addressed through a separate deliverable predetermined by you and your instructor.
- Guided learning for each module consists of research and/or work with a professional in the field. Your instructor will coach you through this process.
- Each module culminates in a final demonstration of understanding, which includes a deliverable and a discussion-based assessment with your instructor.
A Job Shadow Experience allows students to observe a professional on the job to get a first-hand look at their roles and responsibilities as students spend a minimum of 3 hours on-site at a workplace, exploring a career in an industry that sparks their interest. Students will earn 1/8 of credit and a job shadow badge after completing two individual job shadow experiences and reflecting upon their job shadow experience with their VLACS instructor.
Note: Job shadows are intended to take place on-site. Virtual job shadow experiences must be approved by your VLACS instructor for specific reasons which may include the location being too far away or on-site safety restrictions.
Estimated Completion Time
Potential Job Shadow Career Areas
- Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources
- Architecture & Construction
- Arts, Audio/Video Technology & Communications
- Business, Management & Administration
- Education & Training
- Government & Public Administration
- Health Science
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Human Services
- Information Technology
- Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security
- Marketing, Sales & Service
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Transportation, Distribution & Logistics